Very Low-fat Seasoned CroutonsFrom lilchickadee 6 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the bread slices into the size croutons you want. I like 2x2cm(approx.) cubes, personally.
- Put cubes in a bowl and evenly coat with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
- Spray, turning the cubes with a spoon or spatula as you spray so that all sides have some. Try not to soak them, rather just a thin coating, otherwise they will burn even easier.
- Sprinkle seasonings over the cubes, again turning them with a spoon/spatula/your fingers so that they have some on all/most of the sides. Turning them also lets the excess fall off, and allows the excess to coat the areas that need more. I am sorry I don't have measurements, I just flavor to taste and what "looks right". You can use any seasonings you like, so feel free to experiment!
- Cover a baking pan with Reynold's Release Wrap Foil; this will make clean-up a lot easier.
- Put the cubes on the pan, making sure that no two touch each other.
- Set the oven for 4 minutes, turn the croutons, then let bake for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown & crunchy.
- CAUTION: Watch the croutons closely since they can burn REALLY easily (I learned the hard way). I keep the oven light on and check every minute, and then once 1 minute is on the timer, check every 30 seconds (that's how easily they can burn). Once they cool, they be put on/in salads and/or soups, or eaten as snacks! Note: These croutons will taste lighter than ones that you can buy packaged (at least, my family says they taste lighter... I haven't actually eaten the store-bought ones, yet; I figured out this recipe from looking at the ingredients on a package and trial-and-error, plus I use homemade sour-dough bread.) Feel free to adjust it to your taste-buds!