Sweet Potato and Black Bean SaladFrom spaceling 10 years ago
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch. chunks shopping list
- 2 pasilla peppers shopping list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus a bit extra shopping list
- 2 tbsp. lime juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp. blood orange juice (or substitute regular orange juice) shopping list
- 1 tsp. cumin shopping list
- 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder shopping list
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained well shopping list
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced shopping list
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Cover the sweet potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 7 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender but not mushy. (When a fork goes in all the way easily, they're done.) Drain the sweet potatoes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, roast the pasilla peppers by placing them under a broiler or over a gas flame and turning until they are charred all over. Put them in a paper bag and and let them steam for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing: whisk together olive oil, cumin, chili powder, and lime and orange juices. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When peppers have finished steaming, rub off the charred skins with your fingers. (Pasillas have kind of thin skins. It's kind of tricky to get all of the skin off. I settled for most of it.) Remove the seeds from the peeled peppers, and cut them into short strips.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, peppers, black beans, cilantro, scallions, and dressing in a large bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle in a little extra olive oil if necessary.
- Serve warm, or refridgerate and bring to room temperature before serving