Hush PuppiesFrom tippystclair 8 years ago
- 2 cups sifted fine white corn meal shopping list
- 1 Tbsp sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 Tbsp minced yellow onion OR spring onion shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk (or you can use low fat regular milk) shopping list
- 4 to 5 Tbsp cold water shopping list
How to make it
- Stir corn meal, sugar, soda and salt together.
- Place onion in a small bowl.
- Add egg and buttermilk.
- Beat until frothy.
- Pour into the cornmeal and stir lightly to mix.
- Add just enough of the cold water to make dough thick (the dough should hold its shape in the spoon)..
- Drop by tablespoonfuls (or roll into balls) into deep fat fryer (about 350 to 360°) for about 2 minutes or until evenly browned, turning frequently .
- You can pan-fry these in 1/2 inch of oil if you don't have a deep fryer. Just make sure to turn them frequently.
- Makes about 2 dozen.