Arroz Con Pollo Chicken and RiceFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 3 lbs chicken parts shopping list
- salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, cilantro or as desired shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion coarse chopped shopping list
- 1/2 large green bell pepper coarse chopped shopping list
- 1/2 large red bell pepper coarse chopped shopping list
- several cloves garlic chopped shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 3 cups water or chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce ( see note ) shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups rice ( I use parboiled/converted ) shopping list
- 1 cup light beer shopping list
- pinch of saffron shopping list
- 1 cup frozen green peas shopping list
- garnish: olives, fresh chopped cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- This dish was patterned after a Arroz con Pollo I had at a famous Cuban restaurant in NYC.
- I loved the presentation: unmolded rice and chicken on a plate.
- We had this with Cuban bread, Sangria and some fried plantains.
- Remove excess skin and fat from chicken parts and liberally season parts as desired.
- In a oven proof heavy duty pot, brown the chicken pieces in some olive oil and remove.
- Discard any excess fat.
- Cook the onion, peppers and garlic with bay leave until vegetables softened.
- Return chicken to the pot and add the chicken broth and tomato product.
- Bring to a boil and cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add rice and saffron if using and bring to a boil again and simmer covered about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the 1 cup beer and cover and place pot in a 350F oven for another 20 minutes.
- Rice should have absorbed practically all the liquid.
- Stir in the peas and cover and let sit another 10 minutes until rice is fluffy. ..
- Yield 6 to 8 .
- Garnish as desired with pimento strips and or olives and fresh chopped cilantro
- To serve molded: pack some pieces of chicken with the rice mixture into a small bowl and invert onto a serving plate.
- Note: if you want more of a vivid yellow rice, omit any tomato product and replace with broth , beer or water and use saffron ,or a bit of yellow seasoning to the recipe.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating1 people
great tasty recipe thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it