Onion SoupFrom solanaceae 7 years ago
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet onions, sliced thin shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 1 T olive oil (NOT EVOO) shopping list
- 1/2 t kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 t black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 t sugar (may add more if onions not sweet enough) shopping list
- 1 T AP flour shopping list
- 8 C good beef stock shopping list
- 10 oz unpasteurized apple cider shopping list
- 1/4 C cognac shopping list
- 1 C dry white wine shopping list
- bouquet garni (thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley) shopping list
- 3-4 cloves garlic, smashed not chopped shopping list
- Loaf of good crusty bread shopping list
- butter shopping list
- garlic powder shopping list
- parmesan cheese shopping list
- 3/4 LB gruyere cheese, shredded shopping list
- 1/2 LB mozzarella cheese, shredded shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat a large stockpot over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add butter and olive oil. DO NOT use a non-stick pot or the onion will not caramelize properly.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook slowly until they are well caramelized (a deep rich brown color). Cook the onions in batches if your pot will not hold them all.
- Once the onions are about 3/4 of the way done, add salt, pepper, sugar and flour. Continue cooking until onions are the right color.
- When the onions are completely cooked, add all of the liquids, the smashed garlic and the bouquet garni.
- All the soup to gently simmer for 4-6 hours. The soup tastes BEST if you cook it, chill it overnight in the fridge and reheat it the next day.
- TO SERVE: Make garlic toast slices out of the bread, butter, garlic powder and parmesan cheese. Ladle the hot soup in oven safe crocks, float a slice or two of garlic toast on top, cover will shredded cheese and place under broiler until cheeses are melty and bubbly.