Lemon Meringue PieFrom rockinradchick 8 years ago
- 1 (9-inch) packaged pie crust, pre-baked if frozen shopping list
- Filling shopping list
- 4 large egg yolks shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- Meringue shopping list
- 4 large egg whites shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar shopping list
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350. To prepare filling, in top of a double broiler, whisk together egg yolks, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Place over simmering water. Cook over medium heat, stir constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let the mixture boil. Remove mixture from over water. Stir in butter. Pour into crust.
- To prepare meringue, beat egg whites at medium speed until foamy. Beat in cornstarch and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla at high speed until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- Spoon meringue into a large pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe meringue decoratively over filling to edge of crust. Bake pie until meringue in golden, 12 to 15 minutes.