Old fashioned Hermit BarsFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 1 c White sugar shopping list
- 1 c brown sugar shopping list
- 1 c margarine or shortening shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 2 c raisins shopping list
- 1/3 c water shopping list
- 1 ts baking soda shopping list
- 3 c flour shopping list
- 1/2 ts salt shopping list
- 1 ts cinnamon shopping list
- 1 ts vanilla shopping list
- 1 c walnuts chopped shopping list
- 1/2 c coconut ( optional ) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl cream sugars, margarine and add 2 eggs. Cover raisins with water and boil tender. Drain, reserve liquid and cool. Add soda to raisin water.Add raisins to creamed mixture.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients with raisin water to creamed mixture; stir to make a thick pliable dough.
- Divide mixture in half.
- Spread each half into a bar form, length of cookie sheet and about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Bake in a 400F oven until golden and set about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet a few minutes and carefully remove to rack to cool.
- Slice when cold.
- These are soft and chewy.
- Notes: Bake in center rack- these tend to burn easily so bake on insulated baking sheets.
- Freezes well.
- I have also omitted the eggs with excellent results!
- Bars will be less cakey but still very tender and chewy.
- Either way these are excellent!!!!
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating5 people
My aunt these almost like yours and I know they are good!herby in Albany loved it
I never heard of Hermits before. They look and sound great! I must try them!misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
THESE SOUND LIKE MY GRANDMAS NUT ROLLS - THANKS FOR THE POST - LEEBEARleebear in Brookpark loved it