Roasted Vegetable N Feta SandwichesFrom mystic_river1 5 years ago
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped shopping list
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 4 ounces feta cheese shopping list
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- Pinch of crushed red pepper shopping list
- 1 round loaf whole-wheat country bread (about 9 inches across) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat a grill or the broiler. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip). Brush 1/2 tablespoon oil over both sides of the slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until lightly browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with red peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice loaf in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. (Reserve for another use, such as breadcrumbs.) Spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of the loaf. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the bread top firmly. Cut into wedges.