Bears RatatouilleFrom grizzlybear 8 years ago
- 2 1/2 pounds tomatoes shopping list
- 8 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn in half shopping list
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes shopping list
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 2 large onions, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise shopping list
- 3 assorted bell peppers (green, red, and/or yellow), cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 4 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick pieces shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- parmigiano-Reggiano shavings shopping list
- fresh basil shopping list
How to make it
- Cut an X in bottom of each tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch together in a 4-quart pot of boiling water 1 minute. Transfer tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, peel off skin, beginning from scored end, with paring knife.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and transfer to a 5-quart heavy pot with garlic, parsley, basil, and 1/3 cup oil. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down and sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, toss eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large colander and let stand in sink 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook onions in 3 tablespoons oil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a large bowl, then add 3 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook bell peppers with 1/4 teaspoon salt over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer peppers with slotted spoon to bowl with onions. Add 3 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook zucchini with 1/4 teaspoon salt over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer zucchini with slotted spoon to bowl with other vegetables.
- While zucchini are cooking, pat eggplant dry with paper towels. Add remaining oil (about 1/4 cup) to skillet and cook eggplant over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to12 minutes.
- Add vegetables, remaining teaspoon salt, and black pepper to tomato sauce and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour. Cool, uncovered, and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Yield: 8 servings
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating3 people
sounds great tell the cave dwellers you did great lolminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Well, slap my a** and call me a cave dweller. Love this.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
I made your dish last night, we had a roast with you dish. My three children asked for seconds of your dish on not my roast. Fantastic recipe, Well Done...unicorn4 in Melbourne loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!