Whole Wheat Penne With Rapini Anchovy Garlic Sauce And Toasted CrumbsFrom mellybelly 7 years ago
- 300g dried whole wheat penne pasta shopping list
- 1 bunch of rapini or broccoli rabe, coarse stems discarded and remainder cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (either panko or coarsley crumbled bread(I used a stale croissant, which was perfect)) shopping list
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tbsp if not using the croissant shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 tin anchovies, drained and chopped shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 and spread out breadcrumbs on parchment lined baking sheet
- Heat a large pasta full of salted water to boiling, cook pasta 6minutes. Add rapini and stir. Continue to boil until pasta is al dente about 7 more minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, toss panko or bread crumb with 1 tablespoon oil in a shallow baking pan until coated and bake, stirring once or twice, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. (or if using croissant omit oil and bake only about 5 min) Season crumbs with salt.
- While rapini (with pasta) is cooking, cook garlic, anchovies, and red-pepper flakes in 1/4 cup olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring and mashing anchovies into oil with a wooden spoon, until garlic is golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta and rapini in a colander, then add to anchovy mixture in skillet, tossing to combine.
- Serve pasta sprinkled with some toasted breadcrumbs and pass remainder.