Serrano Chili and Cilantro Cornbread MuffinsFrom dee 6 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- 2 small serrano chilies (or 2 ounces canned green roasted chilies) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Pinch cayenne shopping list
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk or soy milk shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup canola or grape seed oil or softened butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- honey butter TOPPING shopping list
- (Optional) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons honey shopping list
- 3 tablespoons soft butter shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the chilies on a baking pan on the top rack under the broiler until they blister and turn black. Turn them over and repeat. Remove them from the broiler and drop them into a brown bag to cool. The skin will become loose and flaky as they cool.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the milk, eggs, oil or butter, maple syrup or sugar, and the cilantro in a separate bowl.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Take the chilies out of the bag and slice them in half, directly down the middle. Open them up, and remove the eeds and discard. Peel the skin off and discard. Cut the chilies into small pieces and stir them into the batter until they are completely mixed in.
- Smear a little butter or oil on the bottoms and sides of a 9-inch square baking pan or 12 muffin molds and pour the batter in. Bake 20 minutes if using a muffin pan, or 25 minutes if you're using a baking pan. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Make the Honey Butter: Simply blend the softened honey and butter together in a bowl with a fork, whipping lightly to create a creamy spread. Scoop the spread into a ramekin and serve along with the cornbread.