Enchilada SauceFrom regularfoodie 7 years ago
- 6 red chilis (dried), pasillas / anchos, seeds and stem tops removed shopping list
- water - boiling, to rehydrate chilis shopping list
- 1 clove garlic shopping list
- 1/4 small onion (won't need much) shopping list
- 1 can chicken broth or water shopping list
- oil for sauteing shopping list
- 1 tbsp flour shopping list
- 3 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1/4 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1/8 tsp salt, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Draw some hot, soapy water in the sink to drop utensils in as you use them.
- Rehydrate chilis by simmering in boiling water, covered, over medium heat - should take about 5 - 10 minutes. Let cool briefly.
- Blend chilis and water into paste (an immersion blender with a deep saucepan or Mason jar here works perfectly) until very smooth. Set aside.
- Puree garlic, onion and some broth or water in whatever container will hold it, to make a loose but smooth paste (use a small chopper or the immersion blender again).
- Heat oil in shallow pan (10" frypan) and add garlic/onion puree and flour; saute gently to cook flour and puree, but don't burn it, about - 7 mins.
- Add in chili puree, stir often and bring to low simmer. Cook gently, stirring often. Stir in tomato paste and sugar, and thin with remaining chicken broth or water. (I tend to use the whole can by the time it's ready.)
- Taste for salt.
- This can be strained if desired - only takes a few minutes, but is worth it.
People Who Like This Dish 5
- suecake MO
- jenniferbyrdez Kenner, LA
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- bluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
- daidaismoma Langley, CA
- luneazure Pittsburgh, PA
- cmmcelro Mt Pleasant - NE Texas Between Dallas And Texarkana, TX
- huck Gary, IN
- regularfoodie Nowhere, Us
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookregularfoodie Nowhere, Us
The Rating4 people
Sounds like a good one. Thanks for the post. Love and Laughter Suesuecake in loved it
I'm loving this.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
VERY NICEminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!