Sweet Cherry Pie TostonesFrom miss_churros 6 years ago
- 3 Green plantains shopping list
- 2 cans of Cherry, lemon, apple pie filling. Your favorite brand shopping list
- 1 bottle of whipped cream. Your favorite brand shopping list
- 8 ounces of chocolate to melt. Your favorite brand. Melt whatever way you are use to melting chocolate. shopping list
- Frying four tostones at a time, enough oil to cover the plantains while frying in either a deep fryer or frying pan shopping list
- A Green plantain Toston Relleno cup molder. I prefer the Tostobueno, the Ultimate Tostonera® shopping list
How to make it
- Fill large bowl with 3 cups of warm water and 4 tablespoons of garlic salt.
- Peel green plantains (approx 1 per person). Cut into 2 inch chunks for cups. Place into garlic water to soak (approx 1/2 hour).
- Heat oil for frying (in a skillet or deep fryer) 360- 365 degrees. Remove plantains from garlic water and dry on a paper towel (to reduce chance of grease splatter). Place plantain pieces in hot oil for 6-7 minutes (or until color changes slightly). Then take them out and let them cool for about 30 seconds.
- Choose the cup side of the Tostobueno®. Spray with cooking spray. Take the fried plantain and place it in the cup side lengthwise. Press down firmly to form the “tasita” or cup and then remove carefully–remember the plantain will still be hot.
- Quickly dip the plantain cup back in the cold water. This will make the plantain pieces crispy when refried. Hold on, almost done…
- Place the molded plantain back into the hot oil one more time for 3 minutes (until golden brown).
- The Finish —Melt the chocolate. Place toston cup on bed of chocolate. Scoop favorite fruit topping into cup. Top with whipped cream.
- THIS DESSERT IS ABSOLUTELY DELISH. And very easy to make once the toston peeling, cutting and frying is mastered. I have included video links (BELOW) on How to Cut and Peel Plantains.
- MISS_CHURROS HINTS TO BETTER TOSTON COOKING.
- In Step 3, removing plantains from garlic water and drying on a paper towel reduces chance of grease splatter when placing the cut green plantain in oil for first fry.
- In Step 4, spraying the Tostobueno® with cooking spray is only needed the first time the Tostobueno® is used.
- In Step 5, quickly dipping the plantain cup back in the cold water makes the plantain pieces crispy when refried. After remove pieces from hot oil and placing on a paper towel after second fry, lightly salt with popcorn salt, which is finer and sticks to the plantain better, but any salt is fine or skip this step completely.
- Remember presentation is everything—and WHEN FRYING ANYTHING, BE CAREFUL!
- TO LEARN HOW TO CUT A GREEN PLANTAIN SEE VIDEO:
- TO LEARN HOW TO PEEL A GREEN PLANTAIN SEE VIDEO:
- # http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/how-to-peel-a-