Panamanian EmpanadasFrom karlab 8 years ago
- 4 pkgs. of Dough Circles (48) shopping list
- 2 lbs lean ground beef shopping list
- 1 large green pepper diced shopping list
- 1 medium onion diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic pressed shopping list
- 3 Tbs oil ( I prefer Canola) shopping list
- 2 Tbs tomato paste shopping list
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- jalapeno peppers shopping list
- ketchup shopping list
- 3 large hard boiled eggs shopping list
- other condiments of your choice to season the meat shopping list
- canola oil for frying shopping list
How to make it
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and start by sautéing the onions, the green peppers and the jalapeno peppers (for 2 lbs. of meat I use 1 jalapeno, but if you like them spicier, you can use more). When the onion is becoming soft add the garlic and the meat and cook until is the meat is brown. Then add the tomato paste, the Worcestershire sauce and the ketchup, add a little bit of water if the mix is to dry. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for at least 30 minutes or until meat is completely cooked. Add other seasonings as you wish. Also add salt and pepper to taste.
- While meat is cooking, boil 3 eggs and when cooked, chop them in small pieces and set aside.
- When meat is ready, remove from the stove and let it cool for some 30 minutes, add the chopped eggs and mix well.
- TO MAKE THE EMPANADAS:
- Fill one side of the empanada circle with 2 tablespoons of empanada filling, slightly moisten the edges of the empanada circle and press edges together with a fork to seal.
- To fry the empanadas, make sure the oil is hot enough to fry them to a nice golden consistency, not burn them. When one side is of a nice golden color, turn them over to continue cooking the other side and remove from skillet. Put them on a plate with paper towel to absorb some of the oil.
- To bake them, prepare egg wash mixture (1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water) and lightly brush empanadas with some of the egg wash and bake in
- a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until they are of a nice golden consistency. Probably will have to turn them over through half way the cooking process.
- Let them cool at least 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.