Winter Roots and Sausage SoupFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound smoked chicken and apple sausage shopping list
- 1 large white onion chopped shopping list
- 1 leek white part only thoroughly washed and chopped shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 4 medium parsnips peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 large rutabaga peeled and diced shopping list
- 2 large carrots diced shopping list
- 1 medium celery root peeled and diced shopping list
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock shopping list
- 1/2 cup half and half shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In large heavy saucepan heat oil over medium high heat.
- Cut sausage in half lengthwise then cut into thin slices.
- Add to saucepan and brown on all sides.
- With a slotted spoon remove sausage and set aside.
- Add onion and leek to saucepan and cook until soft about 5 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, parsnips, rutabaga, carrots and celery root.
- Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add stock then bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook until all vegetables are tender about 30 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of soup mixture to a food processor or blender and puree with half and half.
- Return to pot and add reserved sausage then heat through.