Moroccan Style Lamb And Chickpea Soup For TwoFrom virtualsteve 5 years ago
- 200 grams (7 oz) cubed lamb pieces shopping list
- 1 litre (1.75 pints) water or lamb stock shopping list
- 1 onion chopped finely shopping list
- 75 grams (2.5oz) red lentils shopping list
- 200 grams (7 oz) diced very ripe tomatoes shopping list
- 1 tbsn tomato paste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 200 grams (7 oz) re-hydrated (cooked) chickpeas shopping list
- 1 large celery stalk with leaves, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cannelloni pasta tubes, smashed so that you get odd size shapes (but if you don't have that a very small handful of any pasta smashed or crunched up a bit to add interesting texture to the soup will work shopping list
- juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1 small bunch of coriander (cilantro), chopped coarsely shopping list
How to make it
- Put lamb cubes in medium sized pot along with the water or stock (lamb stock is best if you can make it or buy it). Bring the water to boil and skim off the little bit of froth that forms.
- Add the onion, lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, turmeric, ground cinnamon, cinnamon stick, ginger, salt and pepper and allow the pot to simmer very gently for about 60 minutes (lamb will become very tender).
- Add the chickpeas, celery and smashed pasta and allow to simmer for another 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and coriander (cilantro) and stir through then turn off heat and let soup stand to cool slightly before serving.