Enchiladas Un-Swiss MissFrom unswissmiss 9 years ago
- for the mole sauce:
- 1 C. canned whole tomatoes shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. flour shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- 2 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 C. chicken broth or water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. molasses or brown sugar shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste shopping list
- pinch cinnamon shopping list
- 2 tsp. salt (reduce if using chicken broth) shopping list
- for the enchiladas:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced shopping list
- 1/2 C pitted green olives, diced shopping list
- 2 whole chicken breasts, poached and shredded shopping list
- 8 8-in corn or flour tortillas shopping list
- 8 oz finely shredded Emmentaler or swiss cheese shopping list
- 1/4 C pitted green olives, sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Make the sauce:
- Put the canned tomatoes and garlic in a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, chili powder, cocoa, and cumin until blended.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter in the 2 Tbsp. olive oil. When the butter starts to foam, add the flour mixture and cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, whisking to ensure the sauce stays smooth and lump-free. Whisk in the tomato-garlic puree, molasses, tomato paste, cinnamon, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and glossy, approximately 5 minutes. Set aside. The sauce may be cooled and refrigerated, but bring to room temperature before assembling the enchiladas.
- Assemble the enchiladas:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC, or if using a convection oven, 160ºC).
- Set aside 1/2 C. of the diced tomatoes for garnish.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the diced olives, remaining tomatoes, and shredded chicken. Cook until just heated through. Divide into 8 equal portions.
- Dip a tortilla in the mole sauce to cover. Place a portion of chicken and approximately 2 Tbsp. cheese down the center of the tortilla, roll up the tortilla, and place in a 9”x13” casserole.
- When all the enchiladas are assembled, pour the remaining mole sauce over the casserole, sprinkle with the leftover cheese, and scatter the olive slices on top.
- Bake the enchiladas for 30 minutes (20 minutes if using a convection oven). Garnish with the reserved diced tomatoes and serve.
The Cookunswissmiss Basel, CH
- Not added to any groups yet!