Crawfish BreadFrom dancegypsy67 7 years ago
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed shopping list
- 1 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper shopping list
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped yellow bell pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs peeled crawfish tails shopping list
- 1/2 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1/2 lb grated pepper jack cheese shopping list
- 1 large egg, beaten shopping list
- 1 tsp kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, salt and cayenne and saute for about 4 minutes. Add crawfish and cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from heat, drain off any liquid, and set aside to cool.
- Turn the bread dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Either by pushing down by hand or by rolling pin, and turning around and over frequently, adding flour as necessary, make a rectangle approximately 20”x15” by 1/8” thick.
- Combine the shredded cheeses. Sprinkle half of the cheese over half of the dough, leaving a 1/2” edge. Top that with the crawfish and finish it with the remaining cheese. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, forming a half moon shape, and pinch the edges tightly to seal completely. Fold the edges over and then crimp.
- Carefully transfer this to the parchment covered baking sheet. With a pointed knife, make three slits on the top of the loaf, about 6” apart. Brush the surface of the loaf with the egg and sprinkle with the kosher salt and black pepper. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm, draft-free place until doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Carefully remove the plastic wrap and bake the bread until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.