Eggplant Ham and Cheese Tapas SandwichesFrom jencathen 5 years ago
- 1 medium size eggplant, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and not too tapered, trimmed shopping list
- Kosher or sea salt shopping list
- 8 thin slices boiled ham shopping list
- 8 thin slices Gruyère or Munster cheese shopping list
- All purpose flour, for coating the eggplant shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten in a shallow bowl shopping list
- olive oil, for frying shopping list
How to make it
- Cut 16 round slices of eggplant, slightly thiner than 1/4 inch. Sprinkle salt lightly on both sides.
- Cut the ham and cheese into rounds slightly smaller than the eggplant slices.
- Place a round each of ham and cheese on an eggplant slice, season it very lightly with salt, and top with another eggplant slice.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant, ham, and cheese.
- Spread flour on a large plate and dip the "sandwiches" in it on both sides, shaking off the excess.
- Line a small baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels. Pour olive oil to a depth of about 3/4 inch in a medium size skillet and heat it over medium high heat to 360 degrees F.
- Working in two batches, dip the eggplant "sandwiches" in the beaten egg on both sides and place them in the oil.
- Fry the "sandwiches" until the batter is golden and the eggplant is soft, about 2 minutes per side, adjusting the heat so the oil doesn't burn.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the "sandwiches" to paper towels to drain.
- Let the "sandwiches" cool for 3 to 4 minutes, then serve.