Pickled OnionFrom deliathecrone 6 years ago
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/8-inch slices shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, DIVIDED shopping list
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed shopping list
How to make it
- In a small bowl, toss onion with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar and seasonings, including the rest of the salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered for 1-2 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the onion; simmer 3 minutes longer, or until onion is heated through, stirring often.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 1 cup