Lebanese Doughnuts Awwamaat with Sugar SyrupFrom jencathen 5 years ago
- Doughnuts: shopping list
- 8 cups pastry flour shopping list
- 1 qt. laban- Use Jimrug's recipe yogurt-laban.html">Homemade Yogurt Laban shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. soda shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil shopping list
- sugar syrup or Qater or 'Atr: shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 1 tsp. ma'ez zahr (orange blossom essence) shopping list
- 1 tsp. lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tsp. ma'el ward (rose water) shopping list
How to make it
- Sift flour and mix with laban and soda. Knead well together.
- Heat olive oil until almost smoking. Drop dough by the teaspoonful into hot oil.
- Fry only a few at a time. They quickly rise to the surface, brown, and are ready to be skimmed out of the fat.
- Drain on absorbent paper. When all the 'awwamaat are fried, dip a few at a time in thin sugar syrup (qater, see recipe below). Serve the doughnuts hot or cold.
- Sugar Syrup or Qater or 'Atr:
- Dissolve sugar in water and boil rapidly.
- Remove foam which rises to top.
- Add orange blossom water and lemon juice and continue boiling until syrup resembles thin honey.
- Add rose water last to preserve its essence.
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cookjencathen TX
The Rating5 people
sounds good thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Bravo!! Try to post similar oriental dessert if you can.ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
This is great... I love Middle Eastern flavors...berry in loved it