Rice Pudding With Cherries And AlmondsFrom auntybea 7 years ago
- 3/4 cup/175 mL granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup/125 mL arborio rice (see Tips, below) shopping list
- 1/4 cup/50 mL dried cherries (see Tips, below) shopping list
- 2 tbsp/25 mL ground almonds shopping list
- 1 tsp/5 mL grated lemon zest shopping list
- Pinch salt shopping list
- 4 cups/1 L milk (see Tips, below) shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 tsp/5 mL almond extract shopping list
- toasted sliced almonds, optional shopping list
- whipped cream, optional shopping list
How to make it
- In greased slow cooker stoneware, mix together sugar, rice, cherries, almonds, lemon zest and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and almond extract, and stir into rice mixture. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours, until rice is tender and pudding is set. Serve warm or cover and chill. Garnish with toasted almonds and whipped cream, if desired.
- Long-grain white rice can be successfully used in this recipe, but the pudding will not be as creamy as one made with Arborio rice.
- Use 1 cup (250 mL) fresh pitted cherries in place of the dried cherries, if desired. Or substitute an equal quantity of dried cranberries instead.
- For a richer pudding, use half milk and half cream.