Lemon GranitaFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
How to make it
- With a vegetable peeler remove zest in long pieces from 2 lemons.
- Squeeze 1/2 cup juice from lemons.
- In a small heavy saucepan heat water and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in zest and transfer syrup to a bowl to cool.
- Chill syrup, covered, until cold.
- Discard zest and stir in lemon juice.
- For eastern-Sicilian granita:
- Freeze lemon mixture in an ice-cream maker until spoonable but not crumbly and serve immediately.
- For western-Sicilian granita:
- Freeze lemon mixture in a metal bowl, stirring every 30 minutes to remove ice crystals from side of bowl, until liquid has become granular but is still slightly slushy, about 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve granita immediately. Makes about 2 and 1/2 cups.