Lemon Meringue PieFrom debwin 7 years ago
- 1 9'' pastry shell, blind baked. shopping list
- FILLING shopping list
- 11/4c sugar shopping list
- 6T cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2tsp salt shopping list
- 2c water shopping list
- 3 egg yolks shopping list
- 3T butter shopping list
- 1/2c lemon juice (fresh or bottled) shopping list
- 1T lemon zest shopping list
- MERINGUE shopping list
- 3 egg white's shopping list
- 1/4tsp cream of tartar shopping list
- 6T sugar shopping list
How to make it
- FILLING: In a heavy saucepan combine sugar cornstarch and salt; whisk in water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook until thickened and clear.
- Whisk some cooked mixture into the egg yolks then scrape into filling in the saucepan, whisking until well combined; cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter and zest. Cool slightly.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- MERINGUE: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks; slowly add sugar and beat until stiff and glossy but not dry.
- Spread over still warm filling making sure you seal the meringue to crust (to prevent meringue from shrinking)
- Brown meringue in 375F oven.