Mac and CheeseFrom fluffy24 5 years ago
- kosher salt shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 pound elbow macaroni shopping list
- 1 quart milk shopping list
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 12 ounces gruyere, grated (4 cups) shopping list
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 3/4 pound fresh tomatoes (4 small) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.