Brown Sugar Chicken With Or Without Root VegetablesFrom mommyth 5 years ago
- whole chicken, cut into 6-8 parts (I estimate one quarter per person for hearty appetites) or four thighs & four drumsticks... shopping list
- 1 lemon shopping list
- A mix of potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potato, pumpkin, Jerusalem artichokes- to cover the bottom of your cooking pan. shopping list
- 1 medium onion - more, less, or omit entirely - up to you. shopping list
- salt shopping list
- granulated garlic powder shopping list
- fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 1/4-1/2 cup dark brown sugar-more or less depending on how caramelized a flavour you want. shopping list
- If you like it spicy- you could add a gentle dusting of chili pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the root vegetables into pieces about 1/ 4 inch (or less) wide and arrange in the bottom of baking pan.
- Chop the onion coarsely.
- Arrange the chicken over the vegetables. (The onion could go in the bottom of the pan, or be sprinkled on top to brown.)
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the chicken. (You can tuck the squeezed lemon into the pan for a more intense lemon flavour)
- Season the chicken with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the chicken.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional hour.
- (If you'd rather not mess with changing the temp -bake it at 350 for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours.)
- **Check that the root veg are cooked - if not, the dish may need a bit more cooking time.