Shepherds PieFrom jaeleepoms 8 years ago
- 1 lb ground beef shopping list
- 1 lb ground sausage (I like the mild/sage flavored ones for this dish) shopping list
- 1/2 small chopped onion (optional) shopping list
- salt, pepper, sage, paprika shopping list
- 2 cans peas (can also use green beans instead) shopping list
- mashed potatoes (using 4-5 medium red potatoes, can leave skin on) shopping list
- cheddar cheese (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Brown the beef and sausage together in a skillet (add the chopped onion as well if desired). Layer the meat on the bottom of a deep casserole dish (like Corning Ware), sprinkle some salt, black pepper, and ground sage over the top. Cover the meat with the 2 cans of peas (or green beans). Cover that with the mashed potatoes and a sprinkling of paprika to help with browning/color if you will not top with cheddar. Cover casserole and bake in oven @ 350 for 45 minutes. Take out and top with shredded cheddar cheese (optional), and bake an additional 10-15 minutes uncovered.
- Time Saver Tip – Use instant mashed potatoes instead, make 6 servings according to instructions on package.
- Variation - I sometimes add either some beef or pork gravy to the meat mixture to add more rubust flavor.