Lemon Vanilla Angel Food CakeFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
How to make it
- Place rack in middle of oven then preheat oven to 325.
- Pour egg whites into bowl in which you will be making the batter.
- If the pan has a removable bottom do nothing to it.
- If it does not lightly butter the bottom then line bottom with buttered wax pepper cut to fit.
- Thoroughly mix flour and 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes until frothy and broken up.
- Add cream of tartar and increase speed to medium high.
- Beat until whites lose their yellow cast greatly increase in volume and start to turn white.
- With mixer running slowly sprinkle the remaining sugar over the whites.
- Beat until whites become very thick very glossy and white and beaters leave a deep trail.
- Beat in the lemon juice and vanilla just enough to mix then reduce speed to lowest possible.
- Quickly sprinkle flour sugar mixture over the whites.
- As soon as it is all added but not completely mixed in stop machine and remove bowl.
- With a rubber spatula or large metal spoon complete mixing in flour by folding or gently stirring.
- Stop just as soon as the flour seems blended in.
- With a rubber spatula scrape batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Inscribe a circle deep in the batter to release any large air bubbles.
- Bake for 50 minutes then turn upside down on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Loosen edges and tube with a knife then turn out cake.
- Loosen and remove pan bottom or peel off paper.
- Store airtight 1 day at room temperature before serving.
- Sift confectioners' sugar over top before serving.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!