Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef SoupFrom crabhappychick 4 years ago
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste - I like to use Jane's Crazy salt & Hot Shot shopping list
- 1 pound beef shank crosscut, this is with the bone shopping list
- 1/2 pound chuck, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, diced shopping list
- 1/2 pound carrots, chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 12 cups water shopping list
- 2 pounds mixed vegetables, frozen, "for soup" variety shopping list
- 1 pound canned tomatoes, diced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons beef soup base shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in soup pot, season both sides of shanks and chuck and brown on both sides. Remove from pot.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, cabbage, and garlic and cook until slightly softened. Add shanks and chuck back into pot. Cover with water, cover with lid, bring to a boil, then lower to medium and simmer for 4 or 5 hours.
- Remove bones from pot. If meat isn't already in shreds, break up. Add frozen veggies, tomatoes, beef base and simmer for about half an hour. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- May add cooked gluten-free noodles.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating2 people
Oh Boy this sounds like mine, it is so good and your right it smells so good cooking. Brings back childhood memories for me also. You got my 5henrie in Savannah loved it