Warm Bean Salad With Fresh Herbs and OlivesFrom bostonmargy 6 years ago
- 3 cups cooked and drained white beans (canned okay). If made from dried beans, save about 1/3 cup of cooking liquid. shopping list
- 2 tbs fruity extra-virgin olive oil. shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary shopping list
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- Scant 1/3 cup bean cooking liquid, water or chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped (can also use whole) shopping list
- 3 tbs chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces or chopped shopping list
- 2 - 3 tbs fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Place the beans in a medium non-stick skillet and set aside.
- Prepare herb mixture. Combine olive oil and garlic in a small skillet and cook on low heat until garlic is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Increase heat slightly and add rosemary and thyme. Cook until the herbs begin to sizzle and little bubbles dance around them - do not let garlic burn.
- Add the bean cooking liquid (or other stock) and olives, increase heat and boil for two minutes. Remove from heat.
- Scatter the parsley and basil over the beans in the other skillet. Pour the dressing over them and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid is almost all absorbed by the beans.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Recipe from "A New Way To Cook," by Sally Schneider