Fluffy Buttermilk BiscuitsFrom hsfargis 9 years ago
- 3-1/2 cups self-rising soft wheat flour shopping list
- 2-1/4 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 2-1/4 tsp. sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 cup self-rising soft wheat flour shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Combine first 3 ingredients until well blended. Cut in shortening and chilled butter with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto well-floured surface; sprinkle with 1/2 cup self-rising flour. Knead 20 to 25 times, adding up to 1/2 cup additional flour until dough is smooth and springy to touch.
- Pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle (about 8-1/2 inches round). Cut dough with a well-floured 2-inch cutter, making 12 biscuits. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Knead remaining dough together 3 or 4 times; repeat procedure, making 6 more biscuits. Lightly brush tops with butter.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden.