Good Old Fashioned CHICKEN BROTHFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- One 4 lb chicken, preferably free range shopping list
- 2 lb backs and necks shopping list
- 2 large onions,unpeeled, cut in chunks shopping list
- 3 large carrots, cut in chunks shopping list
- 3 stalks celery, cut in chunks shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled shopping list
- 6 peppercorns shopping list
- 4 sprigs parsley shopping list
- 8 oz egg noodles shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Cover chicken and backs and necks with water about 1-inch in large pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and skim the foam that rises to the surface.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, peppercorns and parsley.
- Simmer soup for 1 hour maintaining a gentle simmer with some bubbles rising to the top.
- If you cook the soup on too high heat, it turns cloudy.
- After 1 hour, check the chicken and if the juices are clear, remove from soup pot.
- Cool a little, remove bones, discard skin and return bones to pot, reserving chicken for another use.
- Simmer for 2 hours longer or until soup is filled with flavor.
- Strain, discarding bones and vegetables.
- Chill and remove fat.
- Bring water to a boil in large pot, add noodles and cook for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Reheat soup, seasoning it with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve soup with noodles and sliced cooked chicken, if desired.