Albondigas Soup aka Mexican Meatball SoupFrom shepherdrescue 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs shopping list
- 2 large whole eggs shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped pretty small or fine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, about half that if dry (Try to use Mexican oregano) shopping list
- 6 carrots thinly sliced in rounds shopping list
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 large dry whole ancho or pasilla chile seeded and crumbled or 1 small, dry whole hot red chile seeded shopping list
- 1/4 cup rice or 1 large russet potato peeled and diced shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- 2 or 3 medium zucchini sliced medium to large (Optional) shopping list
- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, trimmed of stems, washed, and cut into thin shreds aka chiffonade shopping list
- 3 limes cut into wedges shopping list
How to make it
- In a large ( 8 quarts or more) stockpot, combine the broth, oregano, onions and chile and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add carrots, rice or potatoes, cilantro and zucchini if using. Simmer, uncovered 10 to 15 minutes until tender.
- While that is simmering, combine the beef, breadcrumbs and eggs and shape mixture into small balls no larger than 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Drop meatballs into soup. Simmer uncovered about 5 minutes.
- Spoon off any fat and/or foam from surface of soup.
- Add the chiffonaded spinach to the soup and cook 5 another five minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and pass with the lime wedges to squeeze over soup or float on top.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookshepherdrescue Lake Forest, CA
The Rating7 people
OH YUM .....WONDERFUL SOUP PRINTED AND READY TO GO THANK YOU .............minitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
love this soup high five delicousmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I love this stuff.... :)turtle66 in Sacramento loved it