Wonderful Linzer TorteFrom midgelet 8 years ago
- 1 cup butter ( no substitutes ) shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 eggs separated shopping list
- 1 lemon, juice, and rind shopping list
- 1 Tbs almond extract or brandy shopping list
- OR 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 pound almonds ground fine shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1, 12 oz seed;es raspberry jam shopping list
- extra almonds for topping shopping list
How to make it
- Cream butter and sugar well.
- Blend in egg yolks, ground almonds and extract or brandy or vanilla and lemon juice and grated rind
- Sift flour and baking powder and add to creamed mixture.
- Beat whites till stiff peaks ( but not dry ) and fold into mixture
- At this point you may chill dough or roll it out.
- Chilling makes it easier to roll.
- Divide dough into 2 parts, one a bit larger than the other.
- I find that rolling dough between sheets of wax paper is often helpful or on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll larger part into a circle to fit a greased bottom and sides of a tart pan .
- Spread preserves over dough.
- Roll out smaller section of dough into a circle.
- Cut out strips and place strips in a lattice or crisscross fashion on top of tart.
- Sprinkle top of tart here and there with extra slivered almonds.
- Bake in a 325 to 350 oven until golden about 40 minutes or so.
- Note: Most Linzer Tortes will taste best the next day when the dough will mellow and soften a bit and flavors get to mingle.
- Freezes well.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating2 people
wonderful torte love it thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it