Sweet-Sour Pot RoastFrom blondeberry 7 years ago
- 3 to 4 lb round chuck, cut in 2 inch pieces shopping list
- 2 Tbsp oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 2 Tbsp vinegar shopping list
- 3 Tbsp ketchup shopping list
- 1/3 cup raisins shopping list
- 1/2 cup cold water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch shopping list
How to make it
- Melt oil in a heavy skillet or dutch oven.
- Brown roast well on each side - add onion, bay leaf, salt and 3/4 cup water.
- Cover tightly and cook slowly on top of the range OR in a 350 degree oven for 1 hr.
- Mix together and add brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, and raisins.
- Cover and continue cooking about 1 hr. or until meat is fork tender. Remove pot roast to a hot platter.
- To make gravy, skim off excess fat from broth, leaving about 2 Tbsp fat. Gradually combine 1/2 cup cold water with cornstarch.
- Mix until smooth; add to broth and stir until gravy is clear and thickened. Serve gravy over roast.