Mashed Potato Dinner RollsFrom munchy 8 years ago
- 1 pkg active dry yeast shopping list
- 3/4 cup warm potato cooking water or milk, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup hot mashed potatoes shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided shopping list
How to make it
- Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm potato water. Combine mashed potatoes, butter, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup potato water.
- Add yeast and egg to potato mixture; stir in 2 cups flour. Add additional flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Place dough ball in a buttered bowl, turning to butter top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- On a well-floured surface, shape into rolls; place on greased baking sheets or in a 13x9" pan; let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/4 hours. Slash tops, if desired.
- Bake in a 400º oven 12 to 15 minutes.
- Note: For hot rolls in less time, refrigerate the dough overnight after it has been mixed, kneaded and placed in a covered buttered bowl. Shape into rolls, let rise and bake as directed above. Allow about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from refrigerator to serving time.