Tart Apple Mushroom RisottoFrom mysterix 5 years ago
- 2-3 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tbsp margarine shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 tsp garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1 cup arborio rice shopping list
- 1 lemon, juiced shopping list
- 1 fl oz white wine vinegar (or wine itself) shopping list
- 1/2 cup mild white cheddar, shredded shopping list
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated shopping list
- salt shopping list
- thyme shopping list
How to make it
- In a small saucepan, bring 2-3 cups chicken stock to a boil. Maintain this low boil while cooking the entire dish.
- In a larger pot, add 1/2 tbsp margarine and 1 tbsp olive oil. Bring to a medium heat and add chopped onion, celery, mushrooms, and apple, and minced garlic, stirring well to prevent browning.
- Note: If using canned mushrooms, wait to add until half-way through the broth process in step 6.
- Add arborio rice to the pot and stir until well coated and somewhat translucent, dropping the heat to medium-low.
- Squeeze in lemon juice and add a few splashes of vinegar, continuing to stir until both are absorbed into the rice. Toss in a pinch of salt.
- Begin adding boiling stock to the pot, one cup at a time, slowly and firmly stirring the rice mixture, working the starches from the rice. Only add additional stock once the previous ladle-full has been absorbed. (15-30 minutes)
- Once rice has reached a texture slightly softer than "al dente," and the appearance has become thick and creamy, remove pot from heat.
- Stir in cheeses and remaining 1/2 tbsp of margarine, then cover and let rest for about 2 minutes.
- Serve garnished with a dash of thyme, and always with a crisp salad to help cut the richness.
- Nutrition (as a side dish for 4): 301 Cals; 3.7g Fat; 13mg Cholesterol; 567mg Sodium; 43.4g Carbs; 1.6g Dietary Fiber; 8.8g Protein; 6% Vitamin A; 15% Calcium; 11% Vitamin C; 13% Iron
People Who Like This Dish 2
- greekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
- tooheymomster Springfield, MA
- mysterix Adelaide, Australia - Not USA Anymore!, MD
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmysterix Adelaide, Australia - Not USA Anymore!, MD
- Not added to any groups yet!