Stuffed Sweet PeppersFrom crainny 8 years ago
- 1 lbs of ground beef sirloin or mix 1/2 lbs lamb and 1/2 lbs beef. You can also substitute with turkey or chicken, or even tofu shopping list
- 8 colorful bell peppers, preferably medium to large size and as uniform as possible. Take care to pick the ones that have no cracks, dark or soft spots. shopping list
- 2 medium onions shopping list
- 2 medium carrots shopping list
- 3/4 cup short grain rice shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 small can tomato paste or 8 medium/large tomatoes, or 3 cups tomato juice (V8 is fine) shopping list
- few tbsp fresh chopped flat leaf parsley shopping list
- cooking oil or butter shopping list
- sugar, salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice to taste shopping list
- - shopping list
- sour cream or crumbled feta cheese for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Shred carrots and finely chop onions
- Heat cooking oil or butter in a skillet and saute carrots and onions until softened.
- Mix meat (tofu), egg, rice, parsley and cooked veggies together.
- Work in the egg.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Mix everything well until uniform and not lumpy
- Cut off the "caps" of the bell peppers, about 1/2" from the top (with the stem)
- Gut and seed the peppers, rinse and turn bottom up on a towel to drain.
- Boil 3-6 cups of water.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing 3 cups of water with tomato juice, or 6 cups of water with tomato paste, or shred fresh tomatoes and mix with 3-4 cups of water.
- Add sugar, salt, pepper and lemon juice to make a punchy, zesty sauce.
- Stuff each pepper with the farce, place them in a large stock pot, and cover each pepper with its own cap (keep the stems on, they have strong peppery flavor).
- Slowly pour the sauce over the peppers to cover completely. If not enough sauce - make another small batch and add some more.
- Bring to boil and cook over medium/low heat for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with sour cream on the side.
- Optionally, instead of sour cream, crumble some feta cheese over hot pepper.
- They taste delicious with sourdough bread.
The Cookcrainny Prattville, AL
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!