Fannie Farmers Whole-wheat Oatmeal BreadFrom bostonmargy 7 years ago
How to make it
- Bring 1/2 cup water to the boil. Mix it with the milk, sugar and salt in a heavy-duty mixer bowl (with paddle attachment and dough hook). Cool to lukewarm.
- In a separate bowl measure 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle yeast over it. Let it stand for five minutes to dissolve.
- Add the yeast mixture, whole wheat flour, oats and 1 cup white flour to the liquid ingredients in the mixing bowl. Attach paddle mixer and stir to combine, adding flour until the paddle can no longer engage the dough mass.
- Remove the paddle mixer, scrape down, and insert the dough hook. Mix on slow speed, adding white flour gradually until dough is smooth and elastic. It will have a rougher texture than a white flour dough. Remove from bowl when dough no longer sticks to bottom and sides of mixing bowl. Finish kneading by hand if desired.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm spot until double in bulk. Punch down the dough and shape it into two loaves. Place in greased loaf pans and let rise until almost double in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- When the dough is risen in the pans, bake for about 45 minutes. Remove from pans when finished and let cool on rack.