Mamas Buttermilk BiscuitsFrom angelgirl94 8 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut shortening into flour using a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk. If dough is too dry,add more buttermilk. If dough is too wet,add more flour.
- Knead dough for 1 minute then turn out onto floured surface.
- Roll out to 1/2 " thickness and cut with biscuit cutter(use the size of your choice).
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake on center rack for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with additional butter and serve hot.
- Instead of self rising flour,combine two cups all-purpose flour,1 teaspoon baking powder,1 teaspoon baking soda,and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake as directed.
- If you don't have buttermilk,use 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice and add enough milk to make 3/4 cup. This recipe also works with plain whole milk.
The Cookangelgirl94 Reidsville, NC
The Rating2 people
Great recipe. I love the fact that you have included the substitutes for the flour & buttermilk.. I have a hard time finding Self raising flour here & when I do find it, it's usually a very small bag. You have 5 forks from me for so much helpbrianna in loved it
Thanks for sharing your Mama's biscuit recipe. I know what you mean about the biscuits or cornbread thing. I'm sure the lard makes these better.jett2whit in Union City loved it