Coconut Basbousa- Syrup CakeFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup coconut flakes ( see note ) shopping list
- 1 cup plain or vanilla yoghurt ( I have even used flavored yoghurt like lemon,) shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups semolina flour shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream or thick buttermilk shopping list
- Syrup: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- few drops of: fresh lemon juice or orange flower water or rose water or almond extract shopping list
- Garnish: almonds shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare syrup ahead of time
- Boil sugar and water until syrupy and coats back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add flavoring if desired. Cool
- Syrup recipe may be doubled if you want your cake drenched in syrup !
- I prefer moist cake and not drenched
- Meanwhile prepare cake.
- Into a large mixing bowl, place all cake ingredients.
- Whisk well to combine smoothly
- In a large round cake pan ( I use 10 inch pan ) place batter and decorate top with almonds.
- Bake in a 350F preheat oven until golden and set, anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour syrup over cake.
- Let cool completely
- Note: Semolina flour and coconut flakes ( not shredded coconut ) can be gotton from Mid-East/Indian grocers or even natural food stores.
- I have frozen these cakes too with sucess.
- When using the buttermilk use 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder instead of 2 tsp baking powder
- These also can be baked individually into paper line cupcake/muffin tins
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating1 people
great recipe thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
Sweet Suite159 members
From Middle Eastern Lands254 members
Unique And Unusual Recipes84 members
Cakes Of Any Type142 members
Taste Of Israel14 members
Cake OLicious60 members
International Baking67 members
Peanut Butter Coconut Lovers13 members