Pita BreadFrom jaeleepoms 8 years ago
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Make a small depression in the middle of lour and pur yeast water in depression. Slowly add 1 cup of warm water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until elastic.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until no longer sticky and has a smooth and elastic.
- Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl, turning the dough so it is coated in oil to keep it from drying.
- Allow to sit in a warm place for about 3 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once doubled, roll out in a rope, and cut into 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 deg F. using the rack at the very bottom of the oven. Also preheat your baking sheet.
- Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles that are about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for additional 2 minutes.
- Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking.
- Take spatula and gently push down puff. Immediately place in storage bags. Pita bread can be stored for up to a week in a pantry or bread box, and up to a month in the freezer using good, airtight freezer bags.