Date And Walnut LoafFrom wrigggit 5 years ago
- 50g butter shopping list
- 150g/1 cup dark brown sugar, treacle, molasses or golden syrup shopping list
- 250ml/1 cup water shopping list
- huge pinch of salt shopping list
- 250g pitted dates shopping list
- 1 tspn bicarb soda shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla essence shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 300g/ bit more than 2 cups self raising flour (wholemeal is good) shopping list
- 100g walnut pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Put butter, sugar, water, salt and dates in a decent-sized saucepan and bring to boil. I say decent sized, because when you add the bicarb soda it can froth up to more than double its size.
- Remove from heat and immediately add bicarb soda and stir.
- Allow date mixture to cool until about body temperatue, then fold in vanilla, egg, flour and walnuts.
- Put mix into the loaf tin.
- Make the top fairly even, perhaps slighty lower in the center.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with butter.
The Cookwrigggit Perth, Australia
- Not added to any groups yet!