Martha Stewarts BaklavaFrom meva 7 years ago
- 1. 3 cups finely chopped walnuts, almonds, or a mix shopping list
- 2. 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3. 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- 4. 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 5. 1 pound phyllo pastry, preferably extra-thin shopping list
- 6. 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 7. 1-1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 8.1 cup water shopping list
- 9. 1/4 cup honey shopping list
- 10. 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel shopping list
- 11. 2 tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- 12. 2 inches stick cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine nuts, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in a bowl.
- 2. Unroll phyllo; halve crosswise. Immediately cover with plastic wrap and then a damp towel. Keep covered while working.
- 3. Brush a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan with melted butter. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo in pan. Lightly brush with butter; cover with another sheet of phyllo, and butter again. Layer phyllo and butter 8 more times, ending with phyllo.
- 4. Sprinkle phyllo with nut mixture. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo over, brush with butter, and cover with a sheet of phyllo.Repeat layering with 5 more layers Sprinkle with nut mixture.Layer with nut mixture in such a way that you have a thick layer at the bottom and a thinner second layer.
- 5. Using a sharp knife, score the surface of the pastry (1/4 inch deep) diagonally into diamonds (about 2 inches long). Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6. Meanwhile, place sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon peel and honey and 1 cup water in a saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes
- 7. Take out the cinnamon stick and pour the syrup over surface of baklava; let cool completely. To serve, use a sharp knife to cut into pieces along scored lines.