Quick And Easy LasagnaFrom tiggertammy 5 years ago
- 1 lb Italian sweet sausage shopping list
- 1 lb Italian mildly spicy sausage shopping list
- 1 lb lean ground beef shopping list
- 2 16-oz boxes lasagna noodles shopping list
- 1 large yellow bell pepper shopping list
- 1 large green bell pepper shopping list
- 1 large red bell pepper shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion shopping list
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 3 jars zesty Italian spaghetti sauce shopping list
- 4 cups shredded mozarella cheese (low-moisture) shopping list
- 5 cups shredded parmesan cheese (set aside 1 cup for topping) shopping list
- 4 cups large-curd cottage cheese (drained) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brown the 2 pounds of sausage and 1 pound of beef thoroughly. Drain and set aside.
- Once you have started browning the meat, start boiling the noodles to the al dente stage.
- While the meat is browning and the noodles are boiling, wash the bell peppers and remove seeds; chop into roughly 1/2-inch size pieces. Clean the onion and chop into 1/2-inch size pieces. (You don't have to be precise. The measurement is to give you an idea of the size.)
- Remove meat from pan and drain. Set aside.
- Put the peppers, onion and mushrooms into the pan and cook until soft but not squishy. Drain and set aside.
- Pour the noodles into a strainer and drain. Rinse with cool water.
- In a 6-quart deep-dish casserole dish, spread a small amount of spaghetti sauce. Dry noodles as much as possible before putting a single layer of noodles over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next put in a layer of mozarella, a layer of meat, a layer of parmesan cheese, a layer of veggies (bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms) and a layer of cottage cheese. Repeat layering, ending with a layer of noodles on top.
- Spread a liberal amount of spaghetti sauce over the top of the noodles.
- Loosely cover with aluminum foil and cook covered for 45 minutes.
- Remove from over and remove foil. Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese over the top, return to oven and bake until cheese is melted and begins to brown slightly.
- Tip: The longer you let it cool, the more the flavors mingle.
- Serve with toasted Italian bread and olive oil on the side for dipping. This all goes great with a gentle red wine.