Enchilada CasseroleFrom mountainmama 5 years ago
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chuck shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 2 cups salsa, divided shopping list
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches), cut into 3/4-inch strips, divided shopping list
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream shopping list
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained shopping list
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup salsa each in two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Layer each dish with a fourth of the tortillas and 1/4 cup salsa.
- Divide meat mixture, sour cream and corn between the two casseroles. Top with remaining tortillas, salsa and cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 1 month. Cover and bake second casserole at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed above. Yield: 2 casseroles (4-6 servings each).