Cream of Reuben SoupFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 5 cups chicken stock shopping list
- or 3, 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 12 oz. fully cooked corned beef brisket, chopped, shopping list
- or 2-1/2 cups chopped deli franks shopping list
- 1 8-oz. can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon, crushed shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/3 cup cold water shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch shopping list
- 2 large carrots, coarsely shredded shopping list
- 12 oz. process swiss cheese slices, cut up shopping list
- 1 cup shredded natural swiss cheese (4 ounces) shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream, half-and-half or light cream shopping list
- rye bread croutons (see note) shopping list
How to make it
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, combine chicken stock, beef brisket or
- franks, sauerkraut, onion, garlic, thyme, tarragon, white pepper, and
- bay leaf.
- Bring to boiling; reduce the heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cold water and cornstarc
- Stir cornstarch mixture and carrots into soup.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add the Swiss cheeses; cook and stir until
- Stir in whipping cream; heat through.
- Top each serving with some of the Rye Bread Croutons..
- Note: Rye Bread Croutons:
- Cut 4 slices rye bread into about 1/2-inch pieces.
- Arrange pieces in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until bread pieces are dry and crisp, stirring once.
- Cool completely.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating2 people
wow great reuben soup yum high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it