A Stirring Rice PuddingFrom mlk_ 7 years ago
- Basic recipe ingredients: shopping list
- 3/4 cup short grain rice ( Egyptian rice) shopping list
- 1 cup water to cook rice shopping list
- 8 cups milk at room temperature shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup rose water shopping list
- mastic shopping list
- 1/2 cup ground pistachios. shopping list
- Optional: raisins, toasted chopped nuts , shredded coconut , vanilla ice cream. shopping list
How to make it
- Wash rice well, let it soak in warm water for 1 hour.
- Place rice in a large pot, add one cup water, and let it boil
- after 10 minutes add milk
- and keep stirring, this is the hectic part of this recipe, it takes 45 minutes.
- Stir in sugar so it won't burn at the bottom of the pot leave it for 5 more minutes keep stirring.
- Crush mastic with 1 Tbs of sugar, add it to the pot,
- stir rose water in.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon in individual bowls, sprinkle ground pistachios.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Note: The authentic recipe calls for both rose water and mastic, substituting rose water with vanilla is an option. You may stir in raisins and shredded coconut.
- Presentation: Served in individual bowls, warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, toasted nuts. I liked mine cold with a sprinkle of cinammon.