Easy Not Award Winning Chili With Corn CakesFrom lumpy1 7 years ago
- 1 pound ground beef shopping list
- 1 15oz can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- (2) 14 1/2oz cans chopped tomatoes, any kind shopping list
- small can tomatoe sauce shopping list
- 16oz frozen okra (sometimes green beans) shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin seed shopping list
- 1/4 tsp tumeric shopping list
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder shopping list
- 1 Tsp sugar shopping list
- fresh chopped cilantro if available shopping list
- salt and black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 minced onion and shredded chedder cheese shopping list
- 1 package jiffy (or other) inexpensive corn-bread mix shopping list
How to make it
- In a cast iron dutch oven or deep skillet fry the ground beef until browned. drain fat.
- add tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, okra, cumin seed, red pepper, tumeric and sugar. stir. cover and cook over medium heat 1/2 hour stirring at 10 minute intervals. stir in fresh chopped cilantro.
- season to taste with a dash of salt and black pepper as desired.
- meanwhile into a 4 cup glass measuring cup prepare the cornbread mix according to the package directions. pour 3 at a time onto a lightly greased 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet, turning when browned (blackened ok).
- serve chili in a big polish pottery soup mug topped with minced onion and chedder, with a corn cake on top and a chilled (or warm) pumpkin beer on the side.