Liberty Cake with Lemon IcingFrom chefmeow 9 years ago
- 1 cup butter softened shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 cups sifted cake flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract shopping list
- 6 egg whites shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
- lemon Icing: shopping list
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons light cream shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice strained shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease and flour three round cake pans.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter then gradually add 1-1/2 cups sugar and cream until light.
- Sift flour with salt and baking soda.
- Combine buttermilk with lemon and almond extracts then alternately add sifted flour mixture in thirds with buttermilk mixture.
- Beat well after each addition.
- In a second large bowl beat egg whites until frothy then add cream of tartar and remaining 2/3 cup sugar gradually and continue beating until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold butter flour mixture into beaten egg whites working carefully so as not to lessen the volume of egg whites.
- Turn into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to 10 minutes in pans then turn out and cool completely on wire rack.
- When thoroughly cooled fill and frost cake with the lemon icing.
- To prepare icing combine sugar and cream beating until a moderately thick icing is formed.
- Add lemon juice and lemon peel then stir to blend.
- If needed add just enough additional cream to thin icing so that it will spread thinly and evenly.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!